How To Set Up Your Phone For Wireless Scoring With Kihapp
Kihapp currently supports wireless scoring in the following scoreboards:
- ITF sparring
- ITF Patterns
- ITF Team Patterns and Traditional Sparring
- Android phones (one per judge). Minimum version is Android 4.0, released in 2011. Android tablets will also work, but will often not have vibration feedback. iOS devices work but don't support vibration feedback or fullscreen mode.
- Internet connection (Wi-Fi or hotspot). Using the venue's built-in Wi-Fi is not recommended. See Tournament Day Best Practices for more information.
- Phone chargers and/or power banks
- Laptop or tablet for the jury table (one per area)
- Display or projector (one per area)
Setting Up The Phones
- Enable Airplane Mode and make sure Wi-Fi is enabled.
Using Google Play Store, update to the latest version of Chrome Browser.
Kihapp's scoring is only known to work in the Chrome Browser at this point.
Install Google Goggles.
Google Goggles is used for scanning QR codes.
- Move Chrome Browser and Google Goggles to the shortcut area.
Install Rotation Control.
Rotation Control is used for making sure the screen doesn't change orientation while a match is going on.
Set Sleep timeout to maximum.
Set the display sleep timeout to the maximum allowed - usually 30 minutes. The way to do this varies by type of phone, but it's usually accessible through Settings – All – Display – Sleep.
Set Screen brightness to minimum.
To preserve battery, set screen brightness to minimum. This is usually accessible through Settings – All – Display – Brightness.
Activate Rotation Control.
- Open Rotation Control
- Activate Start Controlling Rotation
- Open the Notification Area
- Go to Notifications
- Select "Portrait"
Prevent accidental presses of "Back", "Home" and "Menu".
This can be done with a piece of electrical tape or a piece of cardboard wrapped around the bottom of the phone.
- With the jury table computer, find the Schedule menu on Kihapp, and open the Operator scoreboard of your area.
- Click on the judge slot you want to attach a judge into. This is either through Cog Menu – Attach Device or through the phone icon next to the judge.
- If you have any previous devices set to this corner, log them out by clicking on Log out previous devices.
- Using the phone, open Google Goggles and scan the QR code.
- Open the link found by Google Goggles. If asked, choose to use Chrome Browser.
- The Kihapp logo should appear. Tap on Start and begin scoring!